Play in Purple 2021
The national awareness campaign that turns sporting fields purple across Australia for pancreatic cancer will run on the weekends of June 12/13 and 19/20 this year.
#PlayinPurple is now in it's 7th year and continues to grow across Australia, being embraced by football players from all codes ages and geographies, all passionately playing in purple socks on one weekend of their local season to raise critical awareness for pancreatic cancer.
Isabella Di Manno started the campaign in 2015 after the sudden death of her fiancee’s mother to the disease. Her family had always been very involved in football, and Isabella saw this as the perfect way to raise awareness and critical funds into research, improving diagnosis and treatment. “The campaign continues to grow from strength to strength each year, drawing much-needed attention to pancreatic cancer. It’s wonderful to see the participation grow across clubs, codes and regions and reading the testimonials and talking to players, its clear the campaign unities people and communities through active participation."
The #PlayinPurple 2021 campaign will again be supported by Football NSW, Football West, Capital Football and high-profile associations as well as A-League Clubs Sydney FC and Perth Glory, with both clubs sharing key campaign messages and offering high participating clubs free match day tickets for the 2022 season.
Key information for the 2021 campaign:
- #PlayinPurple runs in two weekends of June 12/13 &/19 20 (clubs choose their round to
play in purple socks)
- All players, clubs and codes are encouraged to participate Australia wide, with a simple change of your local club socks to purple socks for one weekend!
- PanKind purple socks are $15 per pair and the funds raised will go directly toward pancreatic cancer research
- A brand new 2021 purple sock design will be unveiled this year
- A #PlayinPurple pack including a social media guide is provided to each club. Campaign hashtags #playinpurple #pancreaticcancer @pankindfoundation
- Clubs and associations are able to make a direct donation to PanKind.
- The online shop opens on April 12 for orders, closes on 19 May with socks delivered from June 1.
- Clubs can contact us for support and to order in bulk for your players. Express your interest
via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download a Participation Pack with campaign information, key messages and assets - everything you need to participate. Click the Order Socks button to go to the online store:
The campaign is supported each year by Football NSW, and you can read the 2021 article on their website.
The success of #PlayinPurple is thanks to everyone involved and determined to make a difference.