Play in Purple
The national awareness campaign that turns sporting fields purple across Australia for pancreatic cancer has been re-scheduled to the weekends of July 23/24 & 30/31.
This year, due to the adverse weather across NSW and the sheer amount of rain that has impacted the starting dates for many competitions around the state. This decision was made after considerable discussion and consultation with key associations & clubs with the understanding that the re-schedule will allow more time for clubs to find their rhythm and settle into the season. We thank everyone for their understanding.
#PlayinPurple is now in its 8th year and continues to grow across Australia, being embraced by football players from all codes ages and geographies, all passionately playing in purple socks on one weekend of their local season to raise critical awareness for pancreatic cancer.
PanKind CEO, Michelle Stewart, said "We are excited to see playing fields Australia-wide turning purple for pancreatic cancer again in 2022, and awareness on this scale is exactly what we need to help shine a light on this disease. This campaign is a wonderful opportunity to increase engagement between clubs, players and the community, all participating for a very important cause - pancreatic cancer awareness. The support across Australia continues to grow with high-profile sporting organisations getting onboard and for that, we are incredibly thankful."
Incredibly the participation grow across clubs, codes and regions each year, and reading the testimonials and talking to players, its clear the campaign unites people and communities through active participation.
The #PlayinPurple 2021 campaign was a huge success with almost 14,000 players playing in purple socks with the campaign supported by Football NSW, Football West, Capital Football and high-profile associations as well as A-League Clubs Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanderers and Perth Glory, with both clubs sharing key campaign messages and offering high participating clubs free match day tickets for the 2022 season.
Key information for the 2022 campaign:
- #PlayinPurple runs on weekends of July 23/24 or 30/31 (clubs choose their round to play in purple socks)
- All players, clubs and codes are encouraged to participate Australia wide, with a simple change of your local club socks to purple socks for one weekend!
- PanKind purple socks are $15 per pair and the funds raised will go directly toward pancreatic cancer research
- Players can choose to wear the 2021 socks and simply make a donation
- A #PlayinPurple pack including a social media guide is provided to each club. Campaign hashtags #playinpurple #pancreaticcancer @pankindfoundation
- Clubs and associations are able to make a direct donation to PanKind.
- The online store will open when the campaign is launched in early April.
- Clubs can contact us for support and to order in bulk for your players. Express your interest
via email: email@example.com
Download the 2022 Participation Pack and visit the online store below to get socks for your club or team.
Thanks to our supporting organisations in 2022:
The campaign is supported each year by Football NSW, and you can read the 2022 article on their website.
The success of #PlayinPurple is thanks to everyone involved and determined to make a difference.