Question to ask about treatment options and clinical trials
by Michelle Di Vito-Smith.
When the time is right, be empowered to know your options. It is an emotional time of uncertainty when confronted with a cancer diagnosis and the most important person during this time is YOU. It is essential that medical partnerships are maximised to ensure all options are considered for your treatment care plan. The below information was created to compliment the EmpowerED webinar Empowering Treatment Partnerships, hosted by Michelle Di Vito-Smith.
How can you feel more empowered?
Be curious, ask questions and be aware of your options to make informed decisions and feel empowered.
Some general treatment questions you may want to consider or ask your doctor:
- What are my treatment options?
- Which treatments, or combination of treatments, do you recommend? Why?
- Should I have tumour genomic profiling done? Would that give me more information about my cancer and biomarkers?
- Who will be part of my care team? What does each person do?
- Have I thought about other factors, such as travel, time, and money?
- Do I have all the information I need to make an informed decision?
- Have I weighed the benefits against the risks?
- Have I looked at my other options?
Questions you may want to ask about clinical trials and other treatment options:
- What are clinical trials?
- How do clinical trials help people with cancer?
- What happens during a clinical trial?
- What clinical trials are available for me? Where are they located? How do I find out more about them?
- Why do I want to take part in a clinical trial?
- What are my goals and what do I expect if I decide to take part? How realistic are these?
- How sure are my doctors about my future if I decide to take part (or not take part) in this clinical trial?
- What are the benefits and risks of participating in a clinical trial?
- How will I be cared for during the clinical trial?
- What are my responsibilities during the clinical trial?
- Are there any costs associated with my participation in a clinical trial?
- Where can I learn more about clinical trials?
- Are there any products in access programs available for me?
Clinical Trial Registries:
Listings of available clinical trials.
Clinical Trial Resources:
Learn more about clinical trials on our website here, or check out the additional resources provided below.
Prof Trotman for Lymphoma Australia
J Roughead AFL player clinical trials story
Trials Ireland_Q&A flyer
Australian Govt_Consumer Learning
Australian Clinical Trials/Consumers